Alerts

Domestic Abuse: Woman Beats Her Housemaid to Death
 
The Kano State Police Command is set to prosecute a mother of four, Fatima Hamza, who is accused of killing her housemaid, Khadija Rabiu.
 
It will be recalled that Mrs Hamza was arrested after being accused of beating the late Khadija to a pulp and inserting dried pepper and metal object in her vagina. The 16-year-old girl, who is an indigene of Kwara State, was said to have died as a result of injuries she sustained from the beating.
 
Her co-housemaid, who earlier said that Khadija died as a result of injuries she sustained from the beating, later retracted her statement. 
 
The suspect, however, claimed that the deceased, who spent about four months in the house was ill for two days before she died from complications from cat bites. Confirming the latest development on Sunday, spokesperson of the Kano State Police Command, DSP Abdullahi Haruna Kiyawa, said the command had done a thorough investigation on the matter and it has concrete evidence at hand to prosecute the woman.
 
Kiyawa maintained that their first report indicated that the late Khadija was diagnosed with cat bite in the past.
 
"In our investigation, we found out that the late Khadija was once bitten by a cat. We have the hospital report and the witnesses on that, but on the accusation of beating the late Khadija to death by her boss, there were three witnesses on the issue; the co-housemaid, the security guard and Fatima’s mother. Based on our pieces of evidence, we are going to prosecute her in the court of law. We have submitted the written document to the state Ministry of Justice for further advice." said the PPRO.
May be an image of 1 person
 
Source: Lindaikeji Blog
 
 
 
Admin
Court Remands Man For Sexually Assaulting 15-year-old Daughter

Alert from: Sahara Reporters

A 49-year-old man, Emeka Ukaonu, has been arraigned in court for allegedly sexually assaulting and molesting his 15-year-old daughter, Gift Ukaona.

At the hearing of the case at Ogba Magistrates’ Court last Wednesday, Emeka pleaded not guilty, adding that the girl was not a member of his family.

According to the Child Protection Network officer, Ronke Babatunde, who spoke to SaharaReporters on Saturday, Gift alleged that her father had been raping her since she was 11.

She said, “It was a case of incest. One Mr Emeka Ukaonu was arraigned for the defilement of his daughter.

“The offender and the victim along with her mother were interviewed before the court sitting. The mother made it known that the offender was not actually the biological father of the victim, and that she was waiting for her daughter to mature before she would break the news to her. The victim was devastated by the news of her father's demise and the social workers around her did a lot to calm her down.

“The court could not sit on the first day due to a delay in the processing of some of the documents needed and the sitting was postponed to the second day.”

It was reliably gathered that Gift has been taken away from her both parents since last December to a safe and secure non-governmental organisation to be taken care of.

Gift, who has been psychologically traumatised by the experience, was said to have attempted suicide but getting better with the help of social workers.

“In the course of our discussion, she made me understand the motive behind her wanting to commit suicide then. Her friends said women that are not virgins always experience domestic violence and l told her it was not true and that it was just a fallacy. I gave her examples of ladies that were raped and now happily married,” Babatunde stated.

Speaking about the reaction of the mother, she said, “She was indifferent; that was when she broke the news in the court last week to Gift that Mr Emeka isn’t her father.”  

In the ruling on Wednesday, Chief Magistrate O. A. Olayinka adjourned that case till next month.

“On Wednesday, the 28th of January 2021, the court sitting was successful and the case adjourned to March 24, 2021 and the offender be remanded in prison,” she said.

 

The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has alerted the general public on plans by human traffickers to use the upcoming World Cup to traffic Nigerian youths.

The Director-General of NAPTIP, Ms. Julie Okah-Donli, disclosed this at a news conference on Monday in Abuja.
Okah-Donli explained that part of the plot was to float unregistered football supporters club, unofficial government delegation, as well as unregistered youth bodies.

She said that they planned to use these platforms to collect huge sums of money from some desperate youths, with the promise to ferry them out of Nigeria using the World Cup tournament as a ploy.

According to the tip they received, the traffickers in collusion with their collaborators at the destination countries, have also arranged with their cohorts in Europe to facilitate the defection of the victims out of Moscow.

“Already these traffickers have continued to mount pressure on some youths and their parents forcing them to part with huge sums of money in exchange for a Russian visa.

“One of such cases at hand is that of a girl from one of the states in the South-South part of the country (name withheld).

“She reported that a Moscow-based trafficker has continued to pressure her through her parents in order to traffic her.

“The trafficker has concluded plans to airlift her on or before June 5, 2018,” she explained.

Okah-Donli said that the agency’s detectives were already on the trail of the said parents, while the sister operatives in Moscow were handling the traffickers.

She warned parents to beware of persons coming to them to give out their children to be taken abroad within this period.

She added that yielding to undue pressure and deceit would send such children to their early grave.

“Russia is a country with high incidence of human trafficking and many Nigerian victims of human trafficking are held up there, and now seeking assistance to return home.

“Stories from victims of human trafficking rescued by NAPTIP from Russia in the past are full of pains and agonies, with few of such victims permanently incapacitated for the rest of their lives,’’ she said.

The director-general however assured that her agency was making effort to meet with the Minister of Sports and Russian Ambassador to Nigeria on the development.

She called on the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation to ensure that only accredited delegates and officials made the Russian contingent.

Okah-Donli said that NAPTIP would strategies and work to ensure a World Cup free of human trafficking was achieved.

She said that whoever is caught in the act would not be spared no matter how highly placed he or she may be in the country.

Admin

Newsletter

Subscribe to get the latest news, alerts, & reports